Saturday, February 9, 2013

December Update


As I started to write my January update, I realized that the December one never got sent! So here it is on the blog instead..almost two months late! 


What is good news?

                     ... and why's it gotta be so hard?



December... Oh December. I kind of expected it to be hard. I expected to miss the candy canes, the Christmas lights, and the age old family traditions. Turns out, I did miss those things, but not severely. Christmas came and went with very little pomp and circumstance, which was actually a nice change of pace. I decided that this year, since I did not have even one Christmas party to attend, I would spend the season thinking about Jesus' incarnation... and those thoughts kind of ruined me.

The Word became flesh... and dwelt among us.
Christmas was different this year because instead of looking out my window and seeing my neighbors pull into their warm garages and unload beautifully packaged Christmas boxes, I looked out my window and saw my precious neighbors walking down the street to go fill their water jugs.... And this is the part where I struggle. 

I don't know what to do with what I see. I don't know how to proceed. Because I can have running water and food on my plate, but what good news is that for them? What good news is it to them that I left my family willingly, but the women here are forced to be separated from their husbands because there is no work for the men in Nepal? What good news is it for my neighbors that I am here?

How is my life bringing them good news?! 

The house across the street.


I don't know the best way to bring the good news to my neighbors right now... I just have to remember that love is patient. I do have good news. Really Good News. But it's going to take some time before I can communicate that Good News in Nepali. 

Until then, trusting and learning...  

No comments:

Post a Comment