Sunday, July 14, 2013

Nepali wedding

I've been waiting nine and a half months for this. 

Yesterday we finally got to attend a Nepali wedding! Our landlord's brother's son got hitched, and as a part of Nepali culture, the groom must welcome the bride into his father's home. The women all hang out and dance and eat sweets while the men go and fetch the bride. Traditionally, the bride and groom would live together in the father's home, but in this case, our landlord and his son (the groom) live in Canada and we live in the father's house, so they welcomed the bride into our house! Since the party was at our house, they were obliged to invite us. 

I've had a case of gastro for the past few days so was totally not in the mood for a party, but once I heard the ladies downstairs singing, my feet couldn't help but to dance! We had so much fun singing and dancing all afternoon until the bride arrived.

This is my "I've had diarrhea for three days and I'm not in the mood for this" face. 



All the girls in our family. 

Me, Pratibha, and Rupam


Dancing with one of my favorite neighbor ladies, 

All of the women waiting for the men to bring the bride home.

Sundesh and me. 

Dancing and waiting and dancing and waiting.
Slowly some men started to show up.

Then the whole brigade came!


The newlyweds!

2 comments:

  1. So cool! We got to attend a couple weddings, it really is an honor and gives so much insight into the culture in which you are a guest. You all look beautiful in your Nepali outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have had gastro issues Bethany, but you sure looked beautiful. What a gorgeous outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete