Wednesday, May 29, 2013

PRIA part 3

Last night we broke every rule in the book.... 

and I liked it. 

I know, ok, I know. I have read all of those development books. I have attended the poverty seminars. I get it. Rich people aren't supposed to give out free stuff to poor people.

I have worked with kids before. I know the protocol. No favorites. No giving of gifts if there is not enough for everyone to share. No sneaking kids out of their house and into your courtyard and then stripping them down and...

Why don't I just tell you what happened?

I went and got Asmita from her house while the other kids were occupied. As I brought her into our courtyard Sundesh was bouncing along behind us, so I let him come too. Cynthia and Meaghan were waiting on the doorstep with the bag of clothes. We told Asmita that we had something for her, and that she should look inside. 

 

Once she realized that they were new clothes and that they were hers, like, those beautiful new clothes were actually for her, I don't even think that hurricane force winds could have ripped that smile from her face.


She was even smiling when her head got stuck inside the dinosaur sweatshirt. 



Remember when I said that I let Sundesh come in with us?
Here he is, about to make his move. 



Once he saw how beautiful she looked, he yelled in Nepali, "My wife!"


Then he grabbed her and carried her off into the sunset. 

And we all lived happily ever after and went outside to play. 



 So yah, that's why we broke all the rules. (You guys totally approve, right?!) Giving one little girl a new outfit is not going to create dependency. The other kids weren't even upset that Asmita was the only one who got a new outfit.


So at the end of the day, the only thing left was one little girl who could not stop cuddling because she felt more love than she has ever felt. It is probably the first time she has ever felt important. She understood that it was more than just a new outfit. She knows that we are not just "rich people" giving out stuff to "poor people." 

We are friends who are giving little gifts (on behalf of other friends) to show just how much we love her. Because let's face it, we all know that Asmita blesses us way more than we bless her



I am so thankful for the awesome ladies who made these clothes and let us have the joy of giving them to Asmita on their behalf. 


(Photo credits: Meaghan and Cynthia)

Click here to read Part 1 and Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment