Sunday, May 12, 2013

the other end of the table


Yesterday morning our internet was down and I really needed to write my spring newsletter, so I went into town to use the internet at a little cafe. I settled down at one end of a large picnic table and got to work. A few minutes later, some post-colllege-I-still-don't-know-what-I-want-to-do-with-my-life kids walked in and sat down at the other end of the table.

At first, I didn't know that they were Christians. In Kathmandu we get a lot of New-Age, vegan hippies who are trying to find purpose in life by saving the icebergs, and these guys seemed to fit the mold. They were wearing trendy clothing, talking about the newest hip-tastic bands, and helping each other decide what to order from the menu.

I continued to work on my newsletter, occasionally taking a break to eavesdrop. As I resumed the conversation for the third time, the hipsters had stopped talking about bands I've never heard of and were talking about fasting... and meditation... and the strength of the Lord. 
It was pretty cool. 



Apparently, "Sarah" was having a hard time being here in Nepal, and one of the the dudes and his girlfriend were trying to encourage her. I've been begging for encouragement from the Lord lately so, craving some refreshing words, I leaned in.

With growing earnestness, he ended with this, "Keep doing what you are doing, girl.  The Lord will come and meet you where you are at."

Ahhh, man, thanks! That is exactly what I needed to hear... NOT! Dude, what does that even mean? Of course he is going to meet me where I am at. Because wherever he ends up "meeting me" is where I am at. I can't not be where I am at. Duh


My bet is that he heard someone else say that phrase, like in a really good sounding prayer or something, and he stored it up for a rainy day.

But here's the thing, it's not just that what the dude was saying was empty. and hollow. and cliche. 

What he said was wrong.   

Because in order for God to "come and meet me" he would have had to leave me. The only way to "meet" someone is to leave and to come back again. 

But God is not like that. 

He never leaves. 

Not in the desert. Not in the valley. Not when the water rises and not when the earth shakes. He is like my neighbor's body odor. There is just no way to get rid of Him. 

So "Sarah," wherever you are, God is not going to meet you where you are at. He's already with you. 

and...

he. 

will.

never.

leave.

Ever.



1 comment:

  1. I want to push the like button... like a thousand times.

    ReplyDelete