Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tuesday Photos

I've been having a really rough week, and today as I was praying, I asked God (in my selfishness) if He would show me his goodness so that when I told people that He is good, I could really believe it. Today I realized that my neighbor snuck into my courtyard, stole my bike, fixed the tire, and returned it. Then, when I came home this evening, the Asmitas were standing outside!

God is good.

Even when it really does not feel like it, He is. 

----------------------------------------------------------


Now, onto the Tuesday photos. This week is dedicated to regular life moments.

This is our favorite way to buy fruit. We call it the "drive through." 


A bunch of guys always line up along the side of the road with their bicycles full of fruit and we drive up to the first guy in line. I don't typically like to bargain for prices, but I love to banter with these guys. After the first guy gives me an outrageous price (thanks to my white skin) I move on to the next guy- just to let them know that I am serious about not getting ripped off.  We banter for a few minutes about how it was cheaper last week and he tells me that he sells fruit for a living so I should just pay up. Once a decent price is arranged, I have to watch the guy carefully, like a hawk, or else he will tip his scale... or fill my bag full of the worst fruit... or not give me all of my change. 

But still, this is my favorite way to buy fruit. 

------------------------------------
Next we have my neighbor's son, Yusef (Nepali for Joseph). 

Yusef is the ham of all hams. This picture is the most still I have ever seen him in my life (except for the time he fell down the stairs and hit his head- he was pretty still after that tumble.). He loves to wear his pants up to his armpits and bounce and play with goats.

--------------------------------------
Always always always get petrol (gasoline) before the last minute. Because if you don't, you will be walking your scooter past the three pumping stations that have run out of gas and finally waiting in a really long line at the one station that is open. 

I'm just saying.

It didn't happen. 

But it could have. 

-------------------------------------------
Finally, we have an example of one of the best parts of living in Kathmandu in winter. 

Exhibit A:


January is one of the best months for produce! Fruit here is 100% seasonal. We don't really have any tree-hugging initiatives here pushing us to eat seasonally. If we want grapes or strawberries, we can only get them in late winter. (It makes produce shopping so much fun! Like, it is so exciting when the fruit at the "drive through" changes).

Mwah!! I love to come home and soak and clean my delicious bounty. 


(Sorry for the poor quality of photos lately... no excuses, just an apology.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment