Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Crossing Bridges.

Nerd camp. What an adventure it has been!

The past three weeks of training have more than adequately prepared me for life abroad. Last week (no stitches in the photo!) we talked about transition, and to give a visual what it might be like to move to another culture, I got to get in front of the class and cross the "culture bridge." 
Trying to get over the "chaos" phase.
 We talked about how sometimes you need help with transition. Sometimes you need support from people who are on solid ground- either because they have been through the process before (other Ex-patriates), or from those who have not ventured across the culture bridge (people back home).  

Crossing the bridge with ease...with help. 
The only problem is that sometimes I don't like to ask for help. I want to be able to do it on my own. Oh pride. 

I was encouraged to ask for help, and although I was reluctant to ask for assistance, my friends were glad to give it! Crossing the bridge became so much easier once I laid down my pride and allowed people to help me. 

All of this is to say that when I get to Nepal and am going through culture stress, I might "forget" to ask for help. So feel free to ask me if I need a hand crossing the culture bridge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment