Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pike's Peak

This Saturday I plan on bagging my first fourteener. That's mountain talk for, "I want to summit a 14,000 foot mountain."

Sunrise over Pike's Peak last October. 
Last October Cynthia and I came to Colorado to do some community health training, and we stayed at the base of Pike's Peak. Oooh how loudly the mountain called my name every morning! "Bethany, Bethany, come climb me!"

I have wanted for so long to climb to the skies, and it looks like we are finally going to do it! Cynthia and I have been training to do this since we got here, so we are hoping that our lungs and legs will be in good enough shape to take each painful step up the steep mountain. It will certainly be worth it once we make it to the top.

I just can't wait to get back out into nature after another week of intense introspection.

Each day in class, we have been digging into the depths of our souls, searching to identify the causes of our actions. I'm not going to bore you with details, but I will say that I am more messed up than I thought I was.

Ahh, humility.

As much of a bummer as it is to see my true, messy self, it is so sweet to be able to know what parts of me to address to make my soul more beautiful. It's just another painful step along the journey up the steep mountain to looking more like my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment