Thursday, June 27, 2013

alien


We had been walking for five hours through humidity that was thicker than jell-o. The amount of sweat that was pouring off of my face could have provided a fresh tank of salt water for Shamu. I was hot. And gross. And hot. And gross. But not too grumpy, actually. I just really wanted to be doing anything in the world other than be walking through a thick fog of meeeeh.

I changed my mind as soon as we arrived, however. Once we arrived, I would have gladly walked back through the semi-gelatinous sub-tropical atmosphere rather than go through what I was about to experience. It was that bad. 



I had gone back to Nuwakot for the weekend to pray and explore. Some friends and I want to see that district redeemed, so we loaded the bus for Nuwakot. We just wanted to walk around and see what was going on. We left for the weekend with half-full backpacks and no expectations. That's all I can say about that. This is the internet, so I can only talk about semi-important things like aliens. 


You heard me. Aliens.   





When we got into town we called up a friend to see if we could stay at his parent's house. Of course we could- this is Nepal. People are super hospitable. 

We arrived at his parent's house. It was a shell of a building that even the homeless on San Pedro Street would have turned their noses up at. It wasn't bad because it had no glass in the windows and it wasn't because the roof was missing part of the roof. It wasn't even because the door was, well.... I'm sure it was around there somewhere. It was bad because of the aliens.


It was terrible, you guys. I know that I've told you guys before that things were bad, but I didn't believe in aliens back then. This time it was for reals bad.


No glass in those windows! 

Remember how I was just saying that the humidity thicker than jell-o? Do you remember that jell-o that the cafeteria ladies gave us in third grade? The kind with the fruit floating in it? That's exactly what it was like in the house I stayed at. Only instead of strawberries and grape halves the humidity was sprinkled with moths and mosquitoes and other floaty fly-ey creatures. 




We arrived tired and sweaty and just wanting to sleep, but because of the saturation of bugs in the atmosphere, we spent a good 40 minutes with Grandpa  trying to jimmy-rig mosquito nets between the wall and the "windows" and the "door." 


               Then it happened....

                                           ...and I will never be the same. 

                                                                                           I encountered an alien. 

I was preparing my little sleeping area on the floor by flicking all of the bugs away so that I could spread my net over my blanket. Flick. Flick. Fliohmygoshwhatisthat?!

Just as I reached over to  flick the giant moth off of my blanket, the moth spread it's giant grey wings and a larvae the size of my pinky finger slowly erected itself from the moth's back.  

The larvae that tried to eat me.
Let me repeat that in case you missed it. A. LARVAE. the. size. of. a. rhinoceros. was. attached. to. the. moth. If there is one thing in the world that I hate, it is larvae.

 I ran out of the room screaming at the top of my lungs in broken Nepali for Grandpa to come and get that bug off of the blanket.

We took the larvae into the local science lab and they did some tests to confirm that the larvae was in fact an alien.


After that Grandpa threw the alien-bug out the window and we all slept safely in our nets (only it wasn't really that effective because one, the windows had no glass, so it could have flown right back inside and two, my blanket had bed bugs so I woke up in the morning looking like a sixteen-year-old with acne all over my arms and shoulders. So much for having a bug net.).


So yah, we went to Nuwakot to explore options for helping the community, but maybe we will just open up an alien observation deck instead. I can see the line of tourists already...



Note: Cynthia was not with me, so she cannot verify this information. I do, however, have other eyewitness accounts of these occurrences. I promise you, I have been searching google to try to figure out what I saw, and the only explanation is that it was an alien.


3 comments:

  1. Bethany,

    This post had me in stitches! I can totally see you screaming and running out of the "so-called" door! I guess Simi Valley ladybugs were not adequate preparation for aliens! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! The ladybugs were too sweet and charming!

      Delete