Monday, August 19, 2013

temple bells

For the past two weeks, the temple near my house has been blasting Shiva music every afternoon. Cynthia and I keep  planning on joking about how nice it would be to go break the speakers. So yesterday, when I heard the first round of Shiva songs spilling out of the temple, I ran inside the house and grabbed my hammer and tried to stick the memory card in without falling down the stairs on my way out the door. I decided that it would be better to use my "hammer" for good and take this opportunity to learn about this culture rather than to break their stuff. 

When my friend saw me with my camera, she insisted on taking me up the hill to the temple. She grabbed her baby. I grabbed my camera. And up we went. 


There wasn't much to see; just a bunch of bells and a few guys waiting for the rest of the worshippers to arrive. We did a little photo shoot as we waited for the shenanigans to begin, but suddenly the sky opened up and and drenched us with all of its bounty. The three of us huddled under my umbrella and laughed our way into the cover of my friend's room.  

My field trip ended as quickly as it had started and I was left with nothing more than soggy shoes and a good memory.  Mark this as gift number 5 of 1,000.








No comments:

Post a Comment