Thursday, August 15, 2013

when the monsoon sweeps through

Monsoon season is coming to an end. The heavy mid-day showers have decided that it is best to visit in the evenings only. For that I am thankful. I have only been rained on once this week. The evening showers blow through leaving a few silky white clouds by morning. Instead of 24 hours of gloom, we are seeing blue skies! 

This morning I looked out the kitchen window just before the sun made the trek up and over the mountains. The silhouettes of Ganesh and Himalchuli beckoned me, "Come up higher! Get a better look!"  

It was already 5:45- which is well into the morning in my neighborhood. However, the world below my roof was unusually silent- as if every creature was being obedient to God and he was telling them, "be still. This is a holy moment.

I stood on the roof, alone in the silence, but so very not alone. God was there, his Presence as real as the mountains that stood before me. 

The sun finished its climb and drove his warm rays onto the silent creatures below. As the silhouettes became real mountains I realized:  those mountains are always there. They have been there during this whole season. I just haven't seen them.

Then, like a child being reminded that her dad is not gone, he is just in the backyard mowing the lawn, I was reminded that my good Father is here with me. Just like the mountains, he is always here.

I am always here. I am always with you. 

The mountains behind my neighbor's clothesline.



























Even when the monsoon is so thick

that I haven't seen Him in months.

Even when the rain is so heavy

that I think it will knock me over.

Even when the waters rise and the darkness looms. 

He is there. 

He is like the mountains, He will not be moved. 


The sun casting rays in our valley.


And monsoon season always comes to an end. 

The skies always clear and the mountains once again show their beautiful faces. 



If you are in the midst of monsoon right now, hold on! Better weather will come...

No comments:

Post a Comment