Thursday, June 20, 2013

Stories are the new statistic.

I've mentioned it before, and I'm in the same rut again.

I wouldn't say that I am at a loss for words. It's actually just the opposite. I have so many words and so many stories, but I don't know how to share them. Some of my friends have been exploited, and the last thing that I want to do is take their stories and exploit their exploitation.

You know how you get all of those e-mails with stories of slum girls who struggled and found hope through ______ organization? Or how you go to that conference and hear the stories of how ________ organization rescued seven slaves from forced labor and now their oppressors are being brought to justice? Those organizations are awesome. I am so thankful for them and for the work that they are doing in the most desperate parts of the world.

But.

I'll be honest.

I don't even read those e-mails anymore.


They used to tell us so many statistics. Then that got old. So they switched to telling stories. Let's be honest, it's getting old. It's not that we don't care, its just that the same thing always happens: Person is in desperation, person comes in contact with organization, organization saves the day, now please send money.

But, well, I am not an organization, I don't know how to save the day, and give your money to your single-mom neighbor who can't pay her gas bill this month.

I do want to share this stuff with you guys. I do. I think that you need to know. The world needs to know. People really are being mistreated, and if you are a Christian, it is your job to stop it.

But alas, I am in a bit of a pickle, so until I figure out how to share these things with you, please pray for me and my friends. That's a pretty good first step anyways.





1 comment:

  1. Just share your heart, and allow us to "tag along" as you interact and develop relationships. That will enable our hearts to be knit to those around you.

    ReplyDelete