Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Language lessons learned.

I have reached that point in language learning where I know just enough to be really confused.

For instance, this morning I was waiting for Cynthia so that we could cross the (really busy) street together, so I started talking to a man who was standing next to me. We were standing along the side of a dusty, dirty, busy, dusty road, and He kept asking me to sit down. "Um, clearly there is no place to sit sir." I was really confused.

Theeeeen, about 45 minutes later, we were sitting in language class, and our teacher used that same "sit" verb in a sentence that was not at all about sitting. Woa, Krishna. What the heck is going on with this word today?

Turns out that verb means "to sit," "to stay," and "to live."

Ahhhh! The man on the road was asking me where I live. Hahahaha! Isn't that funny?!

Ok, I guess it's one of those "you had to be there" things....

In other news, I have been romping around the country in my PAJAMAS(!) for the past three months. 


 Yesterday C and I went for a walk around the neighborhood to practice some of our new phrases. We stopped in a tailor shop to say a few things and ask some questions. We were asking about the different kinds of pants and discovered that there are three kinds. The big poofy ones are called 'punjabi pants.' There is also a skinny jean style that I forgot the name of. These two are the most common types of pants for Nepali women. Then we pointed at our straight leg, loose pants that our old tailor made for us and asked him what they are called. "Those we call pajamas."

Wonderful. No wonder everyone laughs at me. I have been wearing green pajama pants all around Nepal. Lesson learned.

And on a final note, I did attempt to take some photos, but I forgot to put my memory card in my camera, so.... yah. No photos.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha!! I love that you have been wearing Pajama pants the entire time!! Oh well, makes for good memories ;) Love you and I really enjoy reading all of your blog updates!!
    - Ali Cottrell

    ReplyDelete
  2. But they're pretty pajamas :) Back to the tailor!

    ReplyDelete