Thursday, December 20, 2012

Typical Nepali dinner.

Tonight we went next door to our landlord's house for dinner. It was surprisingly not awkward at all, and was actually kind of fun. 

Yesterday they invited us over, and when I asked what time we should come his wife said, "I will call you."

Cool. So this evening we waited for the call. I was expecting her to send one of her sons over to get us, but at around 7 o'clock my phone rang.

"Hello?"
     "Hello!"
"Krishna!"
     "Dinner is ready!"
"Ok, we are coming now."
     "Ok, Hurry up."

Haha. I love Nepali phone conversations... simple and direct. Just my style.

We walked over and his son was standing outside waiting to walk us up to their flat. As soon as I walked inside, I saw Krishna and I busted out laughing. I have zero self control in the laughter department sometimes and tonight I could not get myself to shut up. Krishna was wearing a huge, fuzzy, cheetah print hat that started from his eyebrows and worked itself straight up for about 9 inches.

photo cred: google.com

That's the exact moment when the line between my imagination and my giggle box could not be stopped. All I could see was this tiny Nepali man sitting beneath a huge-changing-of-the-guard-cheetah hat. After about 3 minutes of me laughing he took his hat off. Hmmm. Smart man, that landlord.

Then we were wisked away into the kitchen... but before we could eat, we had to go outside to wash our hands. Duh, Beth, you live in Nepal. Then we went inside and ate Everest sized mountains of rice, with a side of lentils, veggies, and lots of different kinds of chutney.

And by we ate I mean that Cynthia and I ate while Krishna and his wife watched. It's actually really polite, what they were doing. They were making sure that their guests had enough to eat, double checking with us after each bit of rice. After about thirty meals eaten in this fashion, it has become much less awkward.

Then, we went into the living room while Krishna and his wife ate. Again, not awkward.

After dinner there was the typical conversation about America vs. Nepal, made complete by the 60 second intervals of silence. Seriously, though, its not awkward any more.

And then it was time for Krishna to walk us out... and then the hat came back. Bahahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment